Saturday, May 16, 2009

I can be a real dumbass at times


I was driving home from the Annapolis Valley, last night, I came through Middleton just as darkness was upon me. I drove across the bridge and saw a bunch of fishermen all lined up in a row, I thought it would make for some interesting images. I grabbed the D40 and attached the 70-300mm VR, set the exposure (it would be a challenge at ISO 400 with the failing light, I settled on 1/50th sec @ f/7.1)

VR is worth all the extra cost in any Nikon lens that has this feature.

I popped off about 35 files, decided enough was enough and came home.

I plugged in the card reader and soon saw the blue Quick Time icons, meaning these were JPEG's! Waaaaaaaaah!!!! I had been shooting in the Basic JPEG the day before, I had forgot to switch to RAW in all my excitement.

The resulting files were about 800 to 900 KB in size, still usable for Web work and small enlargements, I guess.

Oh well, live and learn.

3 comments:

  1. What RAW editor are you using for your work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colin - I use Nikon's Capture NX 2, it costs about $200. Do you shoot RAW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the feature on my camera that records a RAW and jpeg for each shot. I only play with the RAW when I need to adjust for exposure, or do some other major editing.

    ReplyDelete