Monday, April 27, 2009
Frustrating day for photography
It as one of those days that getting good images would be very challenging. It started fine, I recorded what I thought were some nice sunrise files on my way to work. I was anticipating the arrival of my Canon 500D close-up lens from B&H Photo, UPS got it to me late this afternoon.
From much published info on the Web, I know the AF-S 70-300mm VR works superbly with this Canon close-up lens; I had the 250D when I owned the G6, it's the same optical formula except it's designed for telephoto lenses. Of course, I wanted to try this out for myself.
I went to our LDS meetinghouse, saw some budding plant life that might make for good subject material. Then it hit me - it was windy! Aaaaaaaaaarg. I know wind can make shooting macro subjects very painful, and, the wind did win out - once I loaded the files into the laptop and viewed them, I knew I had failed.
To boot, I thought I could salvage my day with good sunrise shots - there were several with power lines in them! Who put those in my SD card?
Th final straw was the tiny little blotch I saw on all my files from today's outing - it's was in the same spot on each file. Yes, it was a piece of some crap on my sensor, hopefully just dust. You don't see the blasted stuff until after you unload the card; you can see dust in your viewfinder, but that won't hurt anything.
Right click the folder, and you quickly delete all files - I now had nothing to show for today's efforts.
I used my rocket blower to fix the dust problem with the mirror up mode on the D80. The only way to test it was to shoot something - I was happily able to capture the sunset behind my house, salvaging a decent file and being able to create a blog post.
Tomorrow's goal - try to get some nice macro images, shooting close-ups is very challenging.