Monday, June 15, 2009

A new perspective



For years, I struggled with trying to get decent aerial photographs with my dad's float plane using film. Along came the Nikon D80 digital SLR with its 10MP sensor, and things came much easier, with the help of a great telephoto zoom lens, the AF-S 70-300mm VR. Due to the overcast day, I needed to shoot at ISO 400, 1/640th sec @ f/7.1. I used to think sunny days were needed for this type of shooting, maybe this looks better.

I am of the opinion once could create quality 16x20's from the original NEF's. The best thing is I don't need to go out and rob a bank to get the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, the modest 70-300mm VR works fine.

I set the VR to the ACTIVE mode, when sticking it out of an airplane going 75 mph, there is a lot of vibration, but the image stayed pretty steady.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your bank robbing days are over!

    Can I see a picture of the float plane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin, I did post some shots of my dad's plane in an earlier blog, I can also send some to you if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I didn't see them before.

    ReplyDelete