Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First serious attempt at soccer imaging











I have tried a few times over the years to shoot soccer, I always found it frustrating. I recently was asked to look at doing this kind of shooting, parents would be interested in perhaps buying some of my work. With a little research, I discovered some tips and was determined to see if I could find some keepers.

Last night's lighting was not ideal, although it did cloud over in the second half of the game. I found myself needing to use ISO 800 on the D40 to keep a reasonably fast shutter speed. Some findings - (1) follow the ball and make sure it's tack-sharp, (2) cropping skills and editing come into play as you need to take out annoying backgrounds, (3) a 6.1 MP sensor may not be sufficient with cropping if you want to make decent 4x6 (or bigger) prints, (4) my AF-S 70-300mm VR is pretty good at the long end for tight shots, seems something that could go to 400m would be perfect on the DX or cropped-body DSLR.

Anyway, I am happy with these but wonder if they'd make quality prints since they are mostly cropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment